At 35 years of age, one might think life is still blossoming and one has so much to learn, still. Yes, I agree. I’m a learner of life and can’t wait to keep on collecting lessons under my belt. But here are 35 things I’ve learned along the way that have shaped me and continue to do so:
- Don’t take life for granted. We’re given one life to live. Live it well, because you don’t know when yours will be up.
- This too shall pass, so worry about things worth worrying about. Most things are not.
- Don’t judge people and situations before its time. Our judgments are mostly tainted in ignorance.
- We tend to judge things that are too familiar. Explore it in a different angle.
- Don’t hold grudges. They’ll hold you captive for life.
- Let go.
- Smile more. It may brighten someone’s day, but it will especially brighten yours.
- Ask questions. Lots of them. Seek the answers, too.
- Share needs. It works; you never know who will meet them.
- We’re not in control, although we want to be. This has helped me with anxiety in the past.
- There’s always another way.
- Own it. Blame-shifting only hides the truth that we are responsible for our actions.
- We pick up most of the trouble we carry, but we can set it down with a plan and determination.
- Discipline is hard, but it pays off in many ways.
- There is a fountain of youth. It’s called exercise.
- Do things that bring you closer to your goals even though you don’t feel like it. You’ll never feel like it.
- Self-care is extremely important for one’s well-being.
- It’s okay to not keep up with the status quo.
- Comparisons are toxic. Just do you.
- Do not care about what other people think. Please.
- Remember to not take yourself too seriously.
- Humor in marriage is the best thing to avoid fights. This one is recent.
- Love is not a feeling. It’s a choice we make; the feelings follow. Choose everyday.
- Keep an open mind. Be curious.
- Don’t watch the news if it’s not affecting you directly. Seriously.
- Eat real food. Read ingredients. Research ingredients. Do your body this favor if you want it to last.
- Read a lot. Fiction, too.
- Taking pictures of everything is not as good as taking in the moment.
- Cherish family. Even the crazy ones.
- Human interaction is better than virtual ones. Don’t let social media tell you otherwise.
- Don’t rush life. Don’t live in a rush.
- You’re entitled to your opinions, but know when to share and when to keep quiet.
- Have a few very good relationships. They are essential to happiness, not whatever else we may think is.
- Contribute beyond yourself. It’s not all about you. It’s better to give than to receive.
- Be thankful for everything, always. The good, the bad. It’s the secret to contentment.
I’m sure I could come up with a lot more. But I figured I’d do 35 because, you know, recent birthday.
Like if you found it helpful!